Cloud Readiness & Planning: Executing (Cloud Transitions) Program
The foundation is built, assumptions are validated, its time to execute. At this stage, the organization is fully committed to leveraging cloud computing and is embarking on a full transformation.
Set governance structure.
- Ensure appropriate sponsorship exists between business and IT to manage the transitions
- Change management and communication plans are broad based and encompass all users that will be impacted
- Financial tolerance and investment levels to manage the transition are set
Delivery (migration) iterations: low - high risk services.
- Delivery iterations moving all candidate workloads (low - high complexity) to new cloud service deployment model
- Additional delivery components may include newly discovered requirements and/or constraints
- A schedule of events and migration task list is routine and a transitions cadence is set (I.e. how many transitions per quarter)
Develop DevOps & IT automation capabilities.
- Full deployment of required DevOps skill sets
- IT automation is prevalent
- QA capabilities are robust and maturing, including automated testing and a register of common test cases
- All services that have been migrated have a services / application management plan that includes release and upgrade timing
- Commercially valuable systems (those that provide competitive advantage and / or are directly tied to revenue generation) are updated for new functionality regularly
Decommission legacy services & processes.
- Turning down legacy infrastructure practices and processes
- Reducing legacy application footprint, either through rationalization, consolidation or migration
- Revising or eliminating legacy IT processes and procedures including vendor support models if applicable