Digital is the new state of play.
Let's build your playbook.
Start right, run right - 1st principles for success.
1) Business led, IT enabled: partnership is critical.
2) Be an early adopter or fast-follower. not a laggard (don't be on the leading edge of trailing technology).
3) Leadership is necessary; change doesn't happen by accident. Inertia is a strong and powerful force; make it your friend not your enemy.
4) Processes and human resource capabilities must also change; prepare to invest in re-training and change management.
5) Strive for implementable change, limit pilot's and proof's of concept to truly material and risky projects
6) Ensure you have the right IT leadership; ensuring stability and continuity on the as-is environment must be balanced with a focus on enabling change.
7) Automate, early, often and continually. Automation enables scale and efficiency.
Putting principles into action.
1) Define digital for your company.
With all of the buzz out there around digital technology, its easy to get caught up in the hype. But before making significant investment, organizations must understand their value chain, customer & process journey's and the work that gets done to enable both. Not only will there be improved understanding of your business, but greater control over investment and delivery.
Key steps: 1-Assess capabilities. 2-Map process journeys. 3-Identify digital opportunity portfolio. 4-Establish project framework and delivery approach.
2) Establish momentum.
Redefining your business will take time, but it will never happen if you don't start. Instead of wasting resources with unimplementable proofs-of-concept, strive to implement - this means that you may need to start smaller. The trade-off is that teams gain learning and momentum without the risk associated with large bets. The portfolio established in the first play will guide decision making here and the project framework will ensure quality delivery. The goal now is to commit to an project, staff it with the right team and relentlessly pursue success.
Key steps: 1-Project / Opportunity Selection, 2-Team setup and "sprint' plan, 3-Delivery, 4-Successful change implementation
3) Sustain change and scale up.
Things are exciting now, there is momentum and benefits are rolling in. Now is no time to let up - its time to scale up; moving from small process automation & digital wins to enterprise scale automation. By now, DevOps is now a way of life and efficiency is a cultural imperative. But how to scale often presents a significant challenge especially for large organizations. The key is moving away from the past and embracing the disruptive future by building in an expectation of continuous innovation.
Key steps: 1-Rationalize Legacy IT, 2-Stand-up "Disruptive Innovation" capabilities, 3-Enable Citizen Development, 4-Rebuild Corporate KPI's and Incentive Programs